Monday, September 28, 2009

Haslam Consistency Continues in Italy

Leon Haslam finished in sixth and eighth places respectively in Sundays two races of round 12 of the World Superbike Championship at the Imola circuit in Italy to retain his sixth place in the Championship.


Haslam started from 10th place on the grid in the two 21-lap races and was quick to make up ground once the action got under way. In race one Haslam charged through to fifth place and looked certain to retain that place to the chequered flag but was relegated to sixth in the final corner, crossing the finish line in sixth place.

"I made a pretty good start but my lap times were not good", said Haslam. "I got stuck behind Troy Corser and Shane Byrne in the early laps and the leaders got away. I was then struggling to change direction and had problems under braking.

Ryuichi Kiyonari had got past me at the last chicane for the previous three laps but I got him back each time out of the corner and before the finish line. When he did it on the last lap I then missed a gear on the run to the line and ended up losing out and finishing sixth".

The 26-year-old Stiggy Racing Honda rider gambled on his rear tyre choice for the second encounter of the day and was left struggling for rear grip for the second half of the race, eventually finishing eighth. "I made a good start again but was pushed off the track by Marco Simoncelli and when I came back onto the track I had trouble selecting gears for some reason, reported Haslam. I then got a good rhythm going and ended up in a battle with Jonathan Rea. But he put me on the grass and into the gravel more times than I have been all year.

We both made some hard moves on each other but the pace and lap times werent that bad. Then, for the last 10 laps, the rear tyre went off and I knew wed made a mistake with the gamble we made. Overall I suppose I should be reasonably happy with two top eight finishes but its all credit to the Stiggy Team, they put in a great weekends work for me again".

For more news and Information on Arai please visit http://www.whyarai.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment