Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Crutchlow: World Supersport Champion! - 26 October 2009

Arai Racer Cal Crutchlow rode an intelligent race at the Portimao circuit, Portugal, in order to clinch the World Supersport title for Yamaha.





Crutchlow’s only title rival, Eugene Laverty, was on blistering form, setting the pace and taking the lead early on. Despite this, Cal’s point advantage meant that he did not need to try and stay with the Irishman but simply finish high up in the results.Having started well the Coventry man settled into a fourth position spot behind Lascorz until the third lap when the Spanish rider crashed out, promoting him to third.



He maintained his position until lap seven where he let Gary McCoy through at the end of the start finish straight and dropped back into fourth again. Crutchlow then tucked in behind McCoy and followed him home to the finish line for victory and the title of World Champions for himself and the Yamaha World Supersport Team.



Cal Crutchlow, Yamaha World Supersport Champion 2009:


"Fourth is the worst finish I've had this year! Obviously I've had a couple of DNFs but when I've finished fourth has been the worst. I just wanted to bring it home. I didn't need to push Eugene. He's been riding really well all weekend and keeping the pressure on me.


I didn't want to get into any battles, I followed Kenan at the start but his pace was just too fast so I let him go. I let Gary past then settled in behind him and let him bring me home for the race so thanks to him.


It's been a tough season and all credit to Yamaha they've done a fantastic job, I'm elated! I want to thank the team and all my sponsors for their support, and my family, my dad and my mum and Lucy my girlfriend who has put up with me!"



Cal will graduate to the World Superbike class next year, riding alongside fellow Brit James Toseland in the factory Yamaha team. WhyArai wishes to extend its congratulations to Cal, a thoroughly deserving champion.



For more Arai Helmet related news and information please visit http://www.whyarai.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment