Tuesday, May 25, 2010

BSB ROUND 4, CADWELL PARK, SUNDAY 23RD MAY

Spectacular racing and results for Arai riders

JOSH BROOKES, HM PLANT HONDA

Race 1: Fourth Race 2: First Championship Position: Second

“IT’S SUCH A GREAT FEELING”

Brookes had a baptism of fire at the undulating and unique Cadwell Park circuit; a slow start off the front row In race one dropped him back to ninth on the opening lap, but a determined ride saw him battle through to fifth. In race two he was determined to make amends and a lightning start from the second row put him third, but his dramatic style over the Mountain section of the track gave him the edge to pass Michael Rutter and then Michael Laverty in to Hall Bends to take the lead on lap two of the fifteen lap race. He then set consistently fast laps to take the win on his race debut at the challenging track.

“I had approached this weekend as the same as any other, but the time back home in Australia between rounds definitely made me more relaxed and almost reset my mind. I didn’t get off the line well in the opening race and was running ninth which is not where I wanted to be. It took me a while to get into a rhythm and several laps to get pass Chris Walker and by then I had lost too much ground so, I wanted to change that for race two. That second race is the kind of performance I wanted to show when I first came over here to race in BSB; to get into the lead and then edge out a gap and win in style. It is such a great feeling and the team has worked so hard this weekend to get us in this position, and it puts us up there in the championship now for HM Plant Honda which is great.”

ALASTAIR SEELEY, RELENTLESS SUZUKI BY TAS

Race 1: Ninth Race 2: Seventh Championship Position: Seventh

“I’M NOT MAKING EXCUSES”

Alastair Seeley had a character building weekend, but after struggling with minor set-up and confidence issues after a slip off during Saturday’s Q2 session, the diminutive Ulsterman posted solid results inside the top ten in both races. Seeley now occupies seventh in the championship standings on 79 points, but is only a single point outside the magical top six.

“John Reynolds told me weekends like this are character building and I have to agree. We struggled with set-up early in the weekend and my tip off in qualifying knocked my confidence a bit, but I’m not making excuses. The boys helped me a lot and we made some changes to the bike over night, which transformed it and helped my confidence. With only three bikes to a row here at Cadwell it makes qualifying so important. I got beaten up a bit at the start of race one by Brogie; after that I put the hammer down and picked them off for ninth. In race two I got a better start but took a while to get dialled in, but seventh wasn’t so bad and we took six tenths off my best lap from the opening race.”


Tommy Bridewell had a great weekend. Aboard his Quay Garage Racing 2008 specification ex-Gregorio Lavilla Honda Fireblade the 21 year old qualified in sixth position for the opening 18-lap race, and got a good start to run with the leading pack in the early stages. Bridewell continued to battle against a number of the factory supported works riders but had to settle for a career best fourth position at the chequered flag.

A repeat of the heroics looked on the cards for race two but a clash with Chris Walker forced Bridewell onto the grass at the chicane; with typical determination he bounced back from tenth position into sixth and was set to challenge John Laverty for fifth position when the race was stopped. He was happy enough with his efforts:

“We had two strong results but I’m a little disappointed not to get on the podium. I’m now fighting at the sharp end and have proved that Brands Hatch wasn’t just a one off. We lacked a little bit of top speed but you’re always going to have that with an old bike. I rode my heart out and thought I deserved a podium, but I’m now aiming for a double podium at Mallory next time out. We’ve made good progress but the boys in front of me are all on factory bikes. The team have done a great job this weekend, so it’s a big thanks to them.”

It was all change in the EVO championship standings again as Steve Brogan and the Jentin Racing-BMW Motorrad team scored their second winning double of the season. He was a suitably pleased:

“I had a great start in race one and I was mixing it with the full-spec Superbikes for a few laps. I was pushing hard but mid-race I had a few moments trying to keep up; I was getting some good pit signals and knew that my lead in the Evo class was safe so rather than crash I settled for a safe first. I got a good start for race two, the bike was feeling great and I knocked off the laps and continually pulled away from the Evos behind me. I was chasing down the Superbikes but didn’t manage to catch them but it was a good win and I’m really pleased as the double win means we are now only six points off the championship lead.”

With Steve Plater out of action due to injuries sustained in qualifying at the North West 200 road races it was down to Glen Richards in both the Supersport and Superstock 1000 classes; he finished seventh and fifth respectively aboard his Padgets liveried Hondas. Deane Brown made second in the 125GP race, with Racing Steps Foundation rider Fraser Rogers securing fourth. William Dunlop finished seventh.

The next round of the BSB championship takes place on the 27rth of June, at Mallory Park, Leicestershire.

For more information and news on Arai Helmets and Associated products please visit www.whyarai.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment