Monday, June 28, 2010

Arai riders make the best of a tough weekend

LEON HASLAM, ALSTARE SUZUKI
Race 1: Eighth           Race 2: Second                     Championship Position: Second

“WE CAN BEAT HIM”
Leon Haslam fought back from a disappointing eighth place in the opening race of round eight of the World Superbike Championship at Misano, San Marino to earn a superb second place finish in race two. Haslam struggled with electronics gremlins throughout most of the weekend, leading to engine braking and clutch problems. The team made a number of changes for race two and Haslam repaid the work with a gritty and determined second-place finish. The 27-year-old from Smalley in Derbyshire also continued his run of being the only rider to finish on the podium at every round; Haslam now has a 37-point deficit behind Championship leader Max Biaggi, and 10 races with which to make it up.

“After the issues we’ve had this weekend to do with the clutch and electronics, I thought that eighth in race one was probably the best we’d get this weekend. But all credit to the team, because they went back to a setting that we used in USA and South Africa, the bike was much better in the second race. Race two felt like normal and the bike felt a million times better than race one, but I’ve got so many blisters on my hands because I was trying so hard. I took a lap or two too long to pass Troy Corser and Michel Fabrizio in the second race and by then Max was too far ahead to catch. 

Max is riding well and the Aprilia is currently the package to beat, but I’m confident that as long as we all work hard, we can beat him. We do all our own development work and it’s because of all the hard work that we are competitive. I’m going to keeping fighting for more podiums; that was my aim before the season began, and it’s still the same now.”

JONATHAN REA, TEN KATE HONDA

Race 1: Thirteenth                Race 2: Twelfth         Championship Position: Fourth

“IT’S UNBELIEVABLY FRUSTRATING”
The Misano weekend proved to be one to forget for the Hannspree Ten Kate Honda squad. With difficult qualifying sessions leading to a lower grid position, the two 24-lap races were a true test for Jonathan Rea. He started both races well however, catapulting his CBR1000RR from 16th on the grid into positions that would allow him to challenge for the top ten. However, the chatter that has plagued the 23-year-old from Northern Ireland was impossible to ignore, forcing him back down the field in both races.

“I’m sure you don’t need me to tell you how I’m feeling after this weekend, and most of what I’m feeling you wouldn’t be able to publish anyway. It’s unbelievably frustrating to be held back by this problem when it wasn’t that long ago that we were winning together. We just haven’t been able to sort things out this weekend and the results show that more clearly than anything else. We’ve got to get it together and I’m hoping that a two-day test will allow us an opportunity to do that".

CAL CRUTCHLOW, STERILGARDA YAMAHA

Race 1: DNF                          Race 2: Fourth          Championship Position: Tenth

“I WAS DISAPPOINTED TO LOSE OUT”
Race one had seen Crutchlow lose the front early on as he pushed on to catch the leaders, forcing retirement from the race. Despite being mobbed by riders in the first corner of race two, Crutchlow fought back with an inspired push, coming from ninth all the way up to take third from Michel Fabrizio by lap 19. He held out for a further three laps but was passed back with two laps to go, taking fourth at the line. Race two also saw Crutchlow set a new lap record as he worked his way through the pack, an impressive 1:36.546s.

“I had an OK start in race two, but got beaten up a bit in the first corner on the first lap and basically had to recover from then on. I was disappointed to lose out to Fabrizio at the end, I just lost a bit of drive out of the corner and he managed to get back under me. To come here and do the race pace we did at these grip levels was incredible, hopefully we can make some improvements at this week’s Imola test and be even better. Race one was a stupid mistake, I had a full tank of fuel and just pushed a bit too hard trying to catch the front runners and lost the front, but I think I redeemed myself in race two.”

NORIYUKI HAGA, XEROX DUCATI
Race 1: Seventh                 Race 2: Ninth                       Championship Position: Fifth

“I HAD HOPED TO DO BETTER…”
Noriyuki Haga, starting race one from ninth on the grid, found that the feeling with his 1198 improved after the first few laps but problems, particularly on entry into the corners, meant he was unable to catch the leading group of five. He stuck with Leon Haslam through the second half of the race, managing to get past him on the last lap. In race two Haga lost a couple of positions at the start and then made a small mistake during the fifth lap, which left him in thirteenth place. He gained somewhat during the race and his pace remained constant but he was unable to reach the frontrunners, seeing out the race in ninth position.

“In race one the level of grip seemed to improve after the first few laps and I had better feeling but it was difficult to catch Haslam, as I was having trouble braking, going into the corners. In the end I got past him to finish seventh but I had hoped to do better. In race two I used my other bike, with a similar set up but just a different front fork. Feeling improved but I still wasn’t happy with the traction; then I made a couple of small mistakes and, once I lost ground, it was almost impossible to make it back up. I’m hopeful we can do better at Brno, a track I enjoy.”

Jakub Smrz and his PATA Ducati failed to finish either race; he remains, unluckily for him it seems, rooted at 13th in the championship.

The WSB paddock now heads to Brno, with racing on 11th July. 

For more news and information on Arai helmets please visit www.whyarai.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment