Monday, July 25, 2011

MOTOGP ROUND 10, LAGUNA SECA, SUNDAY JULY 24

Arai riders race hard in California, Pedrosa makes podium again

DANI PEDROSA, REPSOL HONDA
Race Position: 3rd          Championship Position: 4th 


“I WAS VERY TIRED, ALMOST FINISHED…”

Dani Pedrosa started from third on the grid, and settled into second place in the early stages. His team mate Casey Stoner passed him, as Dani soon started suffering from fatigue and fitness problems; Stoner then chased down Jorge Lorenzo for nine laps and wasted no time in passing him around the outside of turn one on lap twenty seven. After being passed by Stoner, Pedrosa retained third position comfortably. He knew his fitness would be tested at a track that demands a huge physical effort, but has now moved above Valentino Rossi in the Championship standings to 4th position with 110 points.

“I’m very happy with another podium, the second after my come back from injury. I could have predicted this result before coming to Laguna because I knew it would be physically very tough for me and it has been great to keep up with the pace of Casey and Jorge in these past two races. Today, by the middle of the race, I was very tired, almost finished, I couldn’t get my left arm strong enough and here at this track you don’t rest for a moment, so I had to drop. It’s been quite difficult to set up the bike this weekend, I had a lack of grip generally, but the team worked very well. Now we have some holidays and it will be good for me to have some days off to rest and relax my muscles and be back training to arrive fully fit in Brno.”

CAL CRUTCHLOW, MONSTER YAMAHA TECH 3
Race Position: DNF              Championship Position:  15th

“ALL OF US ARE PUSHING ON THE LIMIT”

Cal Crutchlow’s debut at the spectacular Laguna Seca circuit was unfortunately a short experience, his hopes of a return to the top 10 ended by an early crash. Starting from the front of the fourth row, Crutchlow was shadowing tenth placed Alvaro Bautista when he lost the front-end of his bike at Turn 2.  The 25-year-old was unhurt in the fourth lap incident but it was a disappointing conclusion to a weekend that had promised much from the 2009 World Supersport champion, after he’d brilliantly got to grips with the 3.610km track.

“I lost the front at the second corner and it was a similar problem to what we’ve been experiencing in recent races. It was fine this morning in cooler conditions but as soon as the track temperature goes up, I have a few problems. Strangely it was only at that corner. It is a shame because I think we had a good pace. Bautista wasn’t getting away from me and he quickly got up to Valentino and Nicky, so I think I could have gone with him and been in that battle. I’m disappointed I didn't finish the race and it is not good for the Championship but I wasn’t the only one to crash today and it shows all of us are pushing on the limit. We have still learned quite a bit this weekend and the bike certainly felt better than it did in the last few races. Now we go to some tracks that I know and I’m looking forward to it because it has been a tough run and I need to recover the form I was showing in the beginning of the season.”

COLIN EDWARDS, MONSTER YAMAHA TECH 3
Race Position: 8th          Championship Position: 8th

“HONESTLY I’M REALLY DISAPPOINTED”

Colin Edwards seized eighth from Hector Barbera exiting the famous Corkscrew section on lap 14, but was already six seconds adrift of the battle for sixth place involving Ducati duo Valentino Rossi and Nicky Hayden. He was able to run identical lap times as Rossi and double Laguna Seca MotoGP winner Hayden in the middle phase of the race, but was unable to reduce the gap and he opted not to take any unnecessary risks to ensure he collected eight valuable points. The result, which was the 37-year-old’s seventh top ten finish of the campaign, moves him up one place in the overall rankings to consolidate his position as the leading non-factory rider in 2011.

“Honestly I’m really disappointed because I came here for my home race and I expected bigger and better things. I struggled all weekend with the set-up and we made a wrong turn somewhere in the last couple of races that have knocked us out of stride a little bit. This morning we just put in the same setting I ran in last year’s race and that wasn’t great, but at least I felt more comfortable with it than what I’d been running all weekend. It wasn’t the best setting but at least I felt comfortable to a point where I could push for some decent lap times. I just lacked front and rear grip. I’ve never ridden so hard in my life but I was a second off the pace and when Cal went down in front of me, there was no way I could go with Bautista. I just had to be smooth because if I pushed I just ended up going slower. I still moved up in the Championship and got some good points, so now I’m just looking forward to a couple of weeks relaxing to get ready for the final part of the season.”


NICKY HAYDEN, MARLBORO DUCATI
Race Position: 7th         Championship Position: 7th

“I’M NOT GOING TO JUMP UP AND DOWN CELEBRATING 7TH PLACE!”

Nicky Hayden finished his home round in 7th behind his team mate Valentino Rossi. He had good pace and rhythm but ultimately wasn’t fast enough to stay with the leading riders.

“I’ve won this race before, so I’m not going to jump up and down celebrating seventh place. We knew it was going to be tough, and crashing in qualifying didn’t help. I got a decent start, but I didn’t get to go with that second group like I had hoped. It was kind of like the Sachsenring: a good battle with Valentino, but thirty seconds behind the front. Vale was no faster than me, but he’s a racer: he doesn’t make mistakes and give you anything. A couple of times I thought I might be able to go up the inside, but I’m not just going to close my eyes and knock us both down trying for sixth place. We’ll take two weeks off, regroup and go to Brno.”


Hiroshi Aoyama rode his San Carlo Honda Gresini to 10th place, and moves to 9th in the Championship. Karel Abraham bought his Cardion AB Motoracing Ducati home in 11th; he remains 12th overall in the standings.

Round 11 of MotoGP is at Brno, Sunday August 14. (With Hopper!)

For more information on Arai Helmets please visit www.whyarai.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment