Monday, April 19, 2010

BSB ROUND 2, THRUXTON, SUNDAY 18TH APRIL

Another great day for Arai riders

JOSH BROOKES, HM PLANT HONDA
Race 1: Second Race 2: First Championship Position: Second

“I JUST GOT MY HEAD DOWN AND STAYED CONSISTENT.”

Josh Brookes secured his maiden BSB victory at Thruxton in race two by just 0.391 seconds, on the back of running a close second to the series leader Tommy Hill in the opening race. His win gave the HM Plant Honda team its first BSB race victory since the penultimate round in 2008, with Brookes also becoming the first Australian to win a BSB race since Troy Bayliss at Cadwell Park during the 1999 season. He was a happy man Sunday evening, and perhaps a very small monkey has been removed from the back of his leathers…

“I was feeling confident; I didn’t quite get qualifying right but I knew we would have the pace to be up there as I know the bike has the speed. There were some tough moves out there in the first race but I made them stick and when I got in the lead I had plus zero on my board and I knew it was going to be close. BSB is so competitive this season so I was expecting someone to have a go back at me. I was happy for second though and my first podium of the year, I just wanted to go one better in the second race. To win race two felt good as I have been waiting a long time to win in BSB – it was great for me to lead the race from the start to the finish and I knew Tommy was breathing down my neck so I just got my head down and stayed consistent. It’s amazing to have finished the day like this – I hadn’t put any pressure on myself to win as I knew I was capable of it, but at least now I have a trophy to prove it!”

ALASTAIR SEELEY, RELENTLESS SUZUKI BY TAS
Race 1: Twelfth Race 2: Ninth Championship Position: Fifth

“IT’S BEEN A TOUGH WEEKEND…!”

Alastair Seeley battled courageously after qualifying crashes and a number of minor problems during both races, scoring solid points that keep him at the sharp-end in the championship table. Seeley gambled with set-up in race one and the series rookie battled to 12th place; for the second outing he reverted to his qualifying set-up, and although he found Thruxton a tough proposition on his full superbike debut, ninth place keeps him well in the championship hunt.

“I tried a different set-up for the first race but it didn’t work for me, so we reverted back to the old set-up for race two. It hooked up a lot better and instead of the tyre going off at half distance, we were right on the money until it deteriorated about four laps from the end. The traction control works overtime around here and it’s a tough circuit to perfect your set-up on – but at least we got more points in the bag and remain top-five in the championship. Thanks to all the boys in the team as it’s been a tough weekend with all the travel problems and burning the midnight oil fixing bikes.”

Steve Brogan suffered an issue with the EVO-class ECU on his Jentin Racing BMW S1000RR and had to compete as a full Superbike runner; he finished 16th and 14th and moves back to fourth place in the EVO championship.

Steve Plater and his HM Plant Honda FireBlade took the top step of the podium for a second consecutive race in the National Superstock 1000 championship, further extending his series lead. The veteran campaigner was pushed wide at the start, undoing his pole position – he then fought hard through the pack to eventually trade the lead with Howie Mainwaring. The two riders then had a battle royale, with Plater ultimately coming out on top. “That was a tough race and I had to put in some hard moves after I didn’t make the best of starts off the line, but we got there and another win is good for me and the team. We put in a lot of hard work during practice and qualifying and that definitely paid dividends today.”

Ian Hutchinson finished sixth on his Padgetts Honda CBR600RR in the British Supersport championship, followed by Ben Wilson in seventh. Glen Richards, suffering shoulder damage sustained from his crash at Brands Hatch, was a frustrated spectator.

In the 125GP class Fraser Rogers turned adversity into triumph to claim another podium; the Racing Steps Foundation-backed KRP rookie finished top of the under-17 riders and sixth overall after overcoming a first lap slip-up that cost him 22 places. Rogers now heads the Academy Cup rider standings and lies second in the British 125GP Championship.

“It wasn’t the ideal opening lap but I’m pleased with the end result,” he reckoned afterwards. “I could maybe have done better still but by the time I’d got up to sixth I’d pretty much used up all my energy. That’s something I’ve obviously got to work a lot harder at. But the bike was fantastic, so a big thank you to KRP.”

The next round of the BSB championship takes place on the 3rd of May, at the picturesque and flowing Oulton Park, Cheshire.

For more information on Arai helmets and associated products please visit www.whyarai.co.uk and www.phoenixnw.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. I would like to say a few words about our Superstock 600 rider Josh Day who rides for Air Team Racing. He had a great weekend at Thruxton winning his race by just under 10 seconds. Josh really stands out in his fluorescent lime green Arai Helmet although it has seen better days now and would appreciate a new one.If Arai think they might be able to help please contact Gary Johnson (garythefire@37.com) Thanks

    ReplyDelete