Friday, April 30, 2010

WSB ROUND 4, ASSEN, SUNDAY 25TH APRIL

Arai riders super strong in Holland

LEON HASLAM, ALSTARE SUZUKI
Race 1: Eleventh Race 2: Second Championship Position: First

“ELBOWS WERE EVERYWHERE!”
Leon Haslam recovered from a disappointing 11th place in race one of the Assen World Superbike to take runner-up spot in race two and extend his championship lead. Haslam’s position in the first race was a result of a loss of air pressure in his front tyre which meant he couldn’t push hard at all; at first he thought it was a brake problem, but kept going and collected five valuable points. Race two was an absolute scorcher – one of the best in World Supers history: Rea won it, but only after the ‘Mother of Battles’ with Haslam, Troy Corser and Toseland, which saw plenty of close contact involving elbows and handlebars.

“Today was very, very hard, but I am happy because I’ve extended my lead in the series. In race one I had a problem with the front end and was struggling in 16th after five laps. I wasn’t sure if it was a brake problem, but when the bike was checked over after the race, the team discovered that air had escaped from the front tyre. It was a real struggle to keep going especially when I was with a couple of other riders, but I was determined to bring the bike home one way or another. The team changed the front discs and pads – in case they were part of the problem – for race two and I was able to do a normal race. It was a fantastic race, with plenty of close contact. Elbows were everywhere and we were close enough to touch each other’s handlebars. It was very hard, but fair, and we all enjoyed it a lot. It must have been great for the fans and of course, having both podiums filled by Brits was also great.”

JONATHAN REA, TEN KATE HONDA
Race 1: First Race 2: First Championship Position: Third

“I’M AS PROUD AS PUNCH”
Hannspree Ten Kate Honda’s Jonathan Rea stamped an indelible mark on the World Superbike championship by winning both races at Assen – his third and fourth championship wins, the first of this season and his debut double. Rea’s stunning weekend performance also included his maiden WSB pole position and the fastest lap of the weekend in a dramatic and thrilling race two – setting a new lap record for the revised 4.452km Dutch circuit. Rea’s results have leapfrogged him from fifth to third in the championship standings.

“You know, it’s been great, but I couldn’t have done it without my team; they gave me a fantastic bike today, so thanks to everyone – my crew chief, data guy, suspension guy, everyone involved. We changed the balance of the bike quite a lot for this weekend and it’s made it more comfortable to ride. I guess you could say that today’s two races were probably the smartest I’ve ever ridden; I never got frustrated or caught in traffic and, when it was time to pull the pin, I did, and I’m really, really happy with the double. It’s a clean sweep with pole position, a double win and, I think the fastest lap, so I’m as proud as punch and I can’t wait to take this home. I’m looking forward to getting back into the swing of things and going to Monza but we’ll definitely savour the moment and I’ll stick around the hospitality this evening and definitely buy the big boss a drink!”

CAL CRUTCHLOW, STERILGARDA YAMAHA
Race 1: Eighth Race 2: DNF Championship Position: Tenth

“IT’S BEEN A VERY FRUSTRATING END TO THE WEEKEND”
Cal Crutchlow made a great start in race one, making it up to sixth on the first corner before a bunched up pack of riders pushed him wide, dropping him to 13th. He fought back with a determined push and was the fastest lapping rider mid-way through. He finally crossed the line in eighth having made up five positions. He was less fortunate in the second race, when a technical issue with the rear suspension forced an early retirement.

“It’s been a very frustrating end to the weekend for me, I know I had the pace to achieve really good results and be up there fighting with the front guys in both races. I made a good start but lost a lot of places on the first corner when the pack pushed me wide, but fought back. Race two was even more frustrating as I was determined and ready to fight for a podium. Unfortunately the technical issue was out of my control so there was nothing I could do.”

NORIYUKI HAGA, XEROX DUCATI
Race 1: Tenth Race 2: DNF Championship Position: Sixth

“IT’S VERY DISAPPOINTING”
Getting off the line in 13th in race one, Noriyuki Haga made up several places to move from sixteenth at the end of lap two to tenth, the position he held from lap seventeen until the finish. In race two Haga went wide at the first corner when he tried to pass riders by going around the outside; feeling strong vibrations from his engine, which only became worse during the first couple of laps, he was forced to return to the box, thus retiring from the race.

“It was very difficult for us today. In race one I didn’t make the good start that I needed to, and from the fourth row I had to push very hard even to make up one or two positions. In race two, I realized already during the warm-up lap that the engine vibrations I was feeling were maybe stronger than normal. I hoped it wouldn’t be a problem and started the race but it became worse as I rode and I knew there was something wrong technically. It’s very disappointing of course because this year, more than ever, it’s important to be consistent – there are so many of us fighting for the positions that count and it’s becoming more and more of a battle.”

The WSB paddock now heads to Monza, with racing on May 9th.

For more news and information on Arai Helmets please visit www.whyarai.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment