Monday, September 27, 2010

BSB ROUND 11, SILVERSTONE, SUNDAY 26th SEPTEMBER

A challenging weekend of weather and racing for Arai riders 

JOSH BROOKES, HM PLANT HONDA
Race 1: Second                      Race 2: Third                        Championship Position: Second


“THAT SECOND RACE WAS JUST CRAZY!”

In the opening race at Silverstone Josh Brookes quickly took the lead but the race was red flagged due to rain and on the restart he was battling for the win in the early stages before securing a strong second place in the difficult conditions. In the second race Josh was forced to take evasive action when title fighter rival Michael Laverty crashed in front of him at Copse on the opening lap, and then had to battle his way through the field. A determined effort saw him secure a hard-fought third place and has put him within eleven points of championship leader Tommy Hill.

“The first race started dry and everything was going to plan and I knew we had good pace but then it was red flagged for the rain. When the race was restarted Michael Laverty seemed to have a bit of an advantage and I followed him, but then as the track dried it was Michael Rutter who then seemed faster so I pushed as hard as I could and if I had done any more I would have crashed. That second race was just crazy; I got away and then Michael Laverty went down in front of me. That really ruined my train of thought and I then got passed by a whole heap of riders and then had to really fight my way back. I had trouble getting past a few of them and then there seemed to be oil down on the track as I nearly crashed about ten times; it would have looked pretty dramatic as I had the bars all crossed up and was lucky to stay on to be honest. I found the speed in the last laps but it was too much to try and close James and Kiyo by then, but I had luck on my side and it has put me back up there in the championship now.”


ALASTAIR SEELEY, RELENTLESS SUZUKI BY TAS
Race 1: Sixth              Race 2: Fourth                      Championship Position: Sixth


“I DECIDED TO BRING IT HOME FOR THE POINTS”
Alastair Seeley regained his composure after a high-speed crash on Friday, coming from his fourth row grid slot in race one to take a fine sixth place. In race two Seeley slowed to miss his fallen team-mate Michael Laverty at turn one after a solid start from the second row, narrowly missing out on the podium in fourth place after ten pulsating laps.

“It turned out to be a decent enough day for me after my crash on Friday and a bad qualifying. The first race was damp and with a drying track my wet tyres chewed up on both sides and the bike was also spinning in a straight line. Michael highsided in front of me at turn one in race two. I had to sit up and get on the anchors, which allowed the others to get away. I had a good race with Tommy Hill, Gary Mason and Josh Brookes but I couldn’t find a way round Brookes for a podium spot. After a bit of a moment starting the last lap I decided to bring it home for the points.”

Tyco Racing rider Tommy Bridewell endured a difficult meeting in the wet conditions. The 22 year old suffered a big crash during Friday’s second free practice session which substantially damaged the machine and left Bridewell nursing a knee injury and bruised ribs. Changeable conditions in race one saw Tommy challenging for the top ten when a machine problem ended his bid halfway through the race and as conditions deteriorated in race two, he did well to salvage a twelfth place finish in a shortened race. The result sees Bridewell drop a place to twelfth in the points table but on a more positive note, it was announced at Silverstone that Bridewell will be part of a two-rider team in the 2011 British Superbike Championship aboard this year’s ex-HM Plant Honda Fireblades. The team will compete under the Tyco Racing banner. 

Over to Tommy: “Silverstone hasn’t been kind to me this weekend and following my World Superbike rides I was hoping for much better. The crash put us back on Friday and while things were OK on Saturday, Sunday was tough. The mechanical problem that we had in race one was unfortunate for us and then the conditions in race two meant I couldn’t get in a good rhythm so a twelfth place finish was the best I could do. Hopefully we can bounce back at Oulton and end the season in style.”

Jentin Racing-BMW Motorrad’s Steve Brogan hit the first restarted race well, fighting his way to the front of the EVO riders but, as the rain eased off and the track developed both wet and dry patches, his bike began to chew up its wet rear tyre and he opted to ride sensibly and bring it home in sixth place. In the rain-lashed second race Brogan got a good start, and by lap two was the second-placed BSB-EVO rider and 12th overall. On lap nine, however, he fell victim to the very tricky conditions and ended his weekend’s racing prematurely. Brogan still holds a valuable eight-point lead in the BSB-EVO championship going into the final round at Oulton Park which is a triple-header, with 75 points still available. He was philosophical as ever; “I don’t mind riding in the wet, but weather like this is so unpredictable. I went well all race and crashed on the last lap. I didn’t do anything different that time, but I came off. There’s a fine line in the wet between crashing and not. I gave it my best but it was tough luck.”

Padgett’s Honda rider Glen Richards finished the Supersport 600 race in fifth, ahead of Ben Wilson, who in the closing stages dropped his bike while challenging for a podium place – he remounted and crossed the line sixth. Unfortunately Richards’ team-mate Ian Hutchinson suffered a leg break in a multi-bike pile up off of the start, which bought out the red flag.

The Superstock 1000 Championship was postponed due to the conditions and HM Plant Honda’s Steve Plater will now have a second race at Oulton Park for the final round – which for him, as he recovers his fitness is probably a blessing in disguise.

Deane Brown – recipient of the 2010 Craig Jones Arai Sponsorship Award – took a well-judged victory in the 125GP class, the first of many, surely. Racing Steps Foundation rider Fraser Rogers finished fourth.

The final round of BSB is at Oulton park, with racing 9th/10th October.

For more news and information on Arai helmets please visit www.whyarai.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment