Friday, September 10, 2010

Pedrosa’s fourth win of 2010 overshadowed by sombre news

DANI PEDROSA, REPSOL HONDA
Race Position: First                         Championship Position: Second


“I WANT TO KEEP MY FEET ON THE GROUND ”
Dani Pedrosa rode a flawless race in Italy to take his second MotoGP win in as many weekends and claim the first back-to-back victories of his MotoGP career. The Repsol Honda rider led for all 28 laps of the San Marino Grand Prix at Misano, recording his fourth win of 2010 and the twelfth of his MotoGP career.

“Concerning the race, I want to say thank you again to my team for doing a great job. The whole weekend has been perfect: good practices, a very high pace during the race, and the second win in a row and the fourth of the season. I want to keep my feet on the ground though and just concentrate on one race at a time. The feeling on the bike is very good now and my goal is to continue in this way. But to be honest, after the sad news about Tomizawa I’m not really thinking about that at this moment.”

NICKY HAYDEN, MARLBORO DUCATI
Race Position: DNF                         Championship Position: Seventh


“IT WAS A RACING INCIDENT”
Nicky Hayden’s run of bad luck at the Misano circuit continued on Sunday; he crashed out on the second corner of the first lap after coming together with Loris Capirossi. Qualifying hadn’t gone well, due to a number of small issues and Hayden started from 14th on the grid; he characteristically shouldered the responsibility for his poor performance, and apologised to his team at the end of the session.

“This hasn’t been a great track for me over the last couple of years. I got quite a good start and made up some positions but on the exit of turn two when I got on the gas and opened up for the next turn I touched with Loris, who was closing his line a little. I’m sorry but it was a racing incident that can happen at any time and when you start so far back you tend to cross lines. The shifter was damaged and I had to come back in. All this is irrelevant though compared with what happened to Tomizawa. At the end of the day we are all brothers here. We have lost a talented kid with a great personality. I loved his style, his determination and the smile he always wore.”

COLIN EDWARDS, MONSTER YAMAHA TECH 3
Race Position: Seventh                 Championship Position: 10th

“I THOUGHT THE OUTCOME WAS GOING TO BE A LITTLE BETTER…”

Colin Edwards rode another strong race to finish in seventh position for the third time in the last four outings. The 36-year-old is confident he could have given Spies more of a challenge for sixth had he not encountered some small front-end issues. Edwards though moved into the top ten in the standings with his latest positive result and is just one-point behind Marco Melandri heading to round 13 at the new Motorland Aragon track in Spain.

“It was a good race and another seventh has put me back in the top ten in the championship. I made a good start and managed to avoid any trouble at the first corner and I had a good early battle with Simoncelli. But I had the same problem I had all weekend and I was losing the front a bit on the brakes. I was trying to ride aggressively and I was happy with my lap times but honestly, I thought the outcome was going to be a little better than seventh. When Ben came by he was able to just pull away from me a little bit every lap. I tried my hardest to stay with him but once he’d gone I just settled for seventh. The race doesn’t count for much though when you hear the news about Tomizawa. My thoughts go out to his family and friends at this difficult time.”


HIROSHI AOYAMA, INTERWETTEN HONDA
Race Position: 12th                          Championship Position: 17th


Hiroshi Aoyama qualified 13th on the grid, with a gap of 1.338 seconds to pole and just about 0.5 seconds to sixth position. The improvement was better than expected for the 18 year-old Japanese and impressed him as much as the rest of the team. Speaking after the session he was reasonably content;

“The qualifying was interesting as we stayed with the old set up and we still were able to improve. Also the lap times improved more than I expected. The gap to the others in front of me got smaller and that is very positive for us. I don’t know how the conditions will be tomorrow, but I hope similar to today and that I can improve in the race.” 

Aoyama finished the race in 12th; his return to fitness continues.

SHOYA TOMIZAWA
As the MotoGP riders were finishing their race, the entire paddock was struggling to come to terms with news of the death of Moto2 rider Shoya Tomizawa, who had succumbed to injuries sustained in a high-speed crash earlier in the day. Our thoughts are with his family, friends and team.

The next MotoGP round is at the new circuit of Motorland Aragon, Spain, September 19th.

For more news / information on Arai Helmets please visit www.whyarai.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment