Friday, October 15, 2010

BSB ROUND 12, OULTON PARK, 9th/10th OCTOBER-ARAI RACE REPORT

Brogan bags the BSB-EVO title for Arai, Brookes finishes second and Deane Brown grabs the ACU Cup!

JOSH BROOKES, HM PLANT HONDA
Race 1: Fifth                        Race 2: Third                      Race 3: Second
Championship Position: Second


“I SUPPOSE IT IS SOMETHING TO COME BACK FOR NEXT SEASON!”
While Ryuichi Kiyonari sealed the BSB crown at Oulton his team-mate Josh Brookes made it an HM Plant Honda one-two in the standings by taking a double podium. Race one on Saturday proved hectic with a number of fallers although Josh managed to stay clear of the debris, and eventually finish fifth, while title fighter rival Tommy Hill crashed out of contention. Josh fought hard for his two podiums on Sunday after two bad starts off the line dropped him down the order, but he put in two determined performances and elevated himself to second in the overall standings.

“The start of the first race on Sunday was not great for me but I was making progress, then Tommy went down and Michael went out in front of me; it was crazy as I was on the grass and doing all I could just to keep going. The red flag came out and we changed the tyre but then had a chatter problem and I was doing everything I could, but it just wasn’t enough as I was struggling. It was so frustrating when Stuart Easton went past me but it was points that mattered. In race two I didn’t get a good start and I think I clipped the kerb going into the first corner. Then it all was pretty mad and I dropped down the pack. We had made a slight change from the first race and it meant that I had the confidence to really push it. I was catching Kiyo but I just couldn’t get that final bit, although it was a good race to finish the year with a podium, I really wanted the championship win. I suppose it is something to come back for next season!”

ALASTAIR SEELEY, RELENTLESS BY TAS SUZUKI
Race 1: 15th             Race 2: Fifth                        Race 3: Seventh
Championship Position: Sixth


“ANOTHER VALUABLE LESSON LEARNED…”

After a disappointing result on Saturday Alastair Seeley demonstrated his steely resolve – the Carrickfergus man digging very deep on Sunday, producing two quality performances taking fifth and seventh placed finishes. The series rookie finishes 2010 in sixth place, but should be commended for his year-long consistency, which saw him take his debut British Superbike victory at Brands Hatch in August.

“I struggled all weekend with set-up which wasn’t helped by having a touch of flu to deal with as well. After Saturday’s race my crew changed the bike back to the settings we used at the previous Oulton meeting. It really transformed it and made it feel more stable and helped me steer through the fast stuff at Oulton. Fifth place was a decent result but I also feel I should have finished higher than seventh in the second race. A bike blew up at Clay Hill and covered my visor in oil and I was really expecting the race to be red flagged; I slowed down and two riders got past me. The organisers sent the Pace Car out instead, so that was another valuable lesson learned, even though I was able to fight my way back.”


Tyco Racing’s Tommy Bridewell put in one of his best performances of the season with a superb ride into sixth place in the opening race. Having qualified on row two of the grid for Saturday’s race, Bridewell battled his way up into the top ten early on before closing in on the leading bunch as the race progressed. Going into the final lap, Bridewell was well placed on and closing in on Josh Brookes but couldn’t quite pass the Australian and brought it home inside the top six for the third time this season. However, any hopes of continuing his great form disappeared when his machine suffered a mechanical problem in the warm up session just before Sunday’s first race, which meant he had to sit out the remainder of the day’s action much to his disappointment. Consolation came in the smallest of forms however as he managed to hang onto 11th place in the championship.

Tommy took it all in his stride; “I felt really good during Saturday’s race and the bike felt strong so I was delighted to finish inside the top six and thought we could do even better on Sunday, but after the problem in the warm up, it was game over. Naturally I’m disappointed as we have put a lot of effort in during these final few races, but it wasn’t to be. I’d like to thank the Quay Garage Team and our sponsors Tyco and everyone else who has helped us this season; we’ll be back next year where the plan is to challenge for the British Superbike Championship title.”

Jentin Racing-BMW Motorrad rider Steve Brogan clinched the inaugural BSB-EVO Championship at Oulton Park. In a thrilling finale to the year’s racing, Brogan took a win and a second place to secure the title ahead of runner up Hudson Kennaugh. In the first race, Brogan took 11th overall and was first BSB-EVO rider, extending his lead up to eight points once again. The final race saw Steve take an early lead over Kennaugh; with his South African rival soon keeping pace, Brogy opted to let him pass and rode home to secure a safe second, and the first ever BSB-EVO title, in the bargain. Obviously, he was a happy man; 

“I couldn’t have done this without all the guys in the Jentin Racing-BMW Motorrad team this year, they’ve all been fantastic, and of course everybody at BMW Motorrad UK who I have to thank for giving me the superb S1000RR to ride this year. I’d especially like to dedicate this to my friends and family back home in Liverpool who’ve supported me from start to finish. Thank you everyone! We’ve done it!”

Gearlink Kawasaki rider Ben Wilson took victory in the Supersport 600 race and rounded out the championship in third place, while Padgett Honda’s Glen Richards finished fourth, leaving him seventh overall.

In the Superstock 1000 class Glen Richards finished second on his Padgett’s Honda, and ended up second in the championship, with Jentin Racing’s Tristan Palmer third after finishing fourth in the race. HM Plant’s Steve Plater rode valiantly to take the chequered flag in sixth on his CBR100RR, and secured fourth place in the overall championship, despite missing half of the season through injury. He finished this season looking forward to the next: 

“I am quite content with fourth place, especially after all that has happened this season. I came here with a podium in my head, but I knew that a top five finish would do me. I was a little tentative in the opening laps and lost time, but I came back through and was happy to end the season with that. It is now about building up for next year and I have to thank the HM Plant Honda team for this season.”

Josh Day took the honours for Arai in the Superstock 600 championship and Deane Brown – recipient of the 2010 Craig Jones Arai Sponsorship Award – finished the 125GP race in second place, securing him the ACU Cup and third overall in the 125GP championship, proving him a very worthy winner of the award and a talent to watch in the future. Filling out the podium of the ACU Cup are John McPhee and Racing Steps Foundation rider Fraser Rogers.

Phoenix Distribution, the UK Arai importer, would like to thank all racers who’ve used Arai this year and are now looking forward to the 2011 season.

For more information and news on Arai Helmets please visit www.whyarai.co.uk




No comments:

Post a Comment