Friday, October 15, 2010

MOTOGP ROUND 15, MALAYSIA, SUNDAY 10th OCTOBER-ARAI RACE REPORT

 The Championship maybe decided, but the fight goes on for Arai riders

DANI PEDROSA, REPSOL HONDA
Race Position: DNS                         Championship Position: Second


“THE SURGERY WAS VERY SUCCESSFUL…”   
Dani Pedrosa may have missed out on a trip to Malaysia but is making a swift return to racing following surgery to fix the collarbone he broke in practice for the Japanese Grand Prix. He left Barcelona for Australia on Monday and will have a few days down under to acclimatise to the time difference before his first outing on the RC212V in Friday practice. The 25-year-old Spaniard, who is continuing with physiotherapy after the successful operation to fix a titanium plate to his fractured collarbone, is under no illusions about the challenge that awaits him: Phillip Island is a fast and physical circuit which requires commitment and strength to master. With the world championship title now decided in favour of Lorenzo, Pedrosa is determined to defend second place and the 47 point lead he has over Valentino Rossi.

“It was hard to take the decision to not go to Malaysia, but after another week I feel it was the right thing to do because during these days my condition has improved quite a lot. After the operation I began rehabilitation immediately. The surgery was very successful and the plate was well fixed, so the main problem was not the collarbone but the stiffness in my neck and all around my shoulders. I’ve been having massage and doing exercises with my physiotherapist and I will keep this up in Australia. The championship is decided, but for us it’s still not over. The target now is to retain second place in the standings and continue working on the bike so that we arrive in good shape for the winter tests, when we will start working for next year.”

NICKY HAYDEN, MARLBORO DUCATI
Race Position: 6th                             Championship Position: 7th


“I WAS STRUGGLING FOR FEEL UNDER BRAKING”
Nicky Hayden¬ – who missed out on his first pole position by just 0.1s – made a strong enough start, into third place into turn one but lost touch with the lead group when Casey Stoner slid out in front of him in the final corner at the end of the first lap. From there the American became embroiled in a battle with a group of hard chargers and was forced to concede positions, to due to unexpected difficulties under braking.

“After qualifying and even warm-up this morning we were confident we could have a good race and put up a better fight than that. I got a decent start but I was struggling for feel under braking, I don’t know why. It has been a strong point for us all weekend but in the race I had no feeling in the front tyre from the first corner and couldn’t brake how I wanted. It made life difficult, especially when it came to battling with other riders. Sixth isn’t a terrible result but we thought we could put up a stronger fight here.”


COLIN EDWARDS, MONSTER YAMAHA TECH3
Race Position: DNF                         Championship Position: 11th


“RIGHT OFF THE LINE I FELT GOOD”
It was an eventful 20-laps for Colin Edwards, the 36-year-old looking to carry on the momentum gained from his season best fifth place in Japan a week ago. A minor braking issue hampered Edwards in the early laps and once he’d adapted his riding style to compensate, he then battled a front-end grip issue. He was embroiled in an exciting four-rider tussle when he crashed at turn four on lap ten. His Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team worked frantically to repair his YZR-M1 machine, with Edwards returning to the track to try and score 13th place. Unfortunately his efforts were unrewarded as he missed the cut-off for scoring points by just one lap.

“That wasn’t an easy race at all. Right off the line I felt good and made a couple of passes but I understood from the start that I had small problem with the front brake. At one point I nearly ran into the back of Ben and that made it really difficult in all the hard braking points and there are plenty of those. Once I adapted to that I was having some issues with the front tyre. I’d had a couple of moments over the weekend but after about four laps I was struggling to hold a line. I was still pushing hard because I was in a good fight when I crashed at turn four. I don’t know whether it was the brake or the tyre or a combination of both that put me down, but it was one of those where I was waiting for it go. I wasn’t going to give up, run wide and let a load of people fly by but just lost the front. I’d like to congratulate Jorge, too. He’s been the fastest rider all year and he’ll be the man to beat next season that’s for sure.”

HIROSHI AOYAMA, INTERWETTEN HONDA
Race Position: 7th                             Championship Position: 15th


“PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY I WAS ON THE LIMIT”

Hiroshi Aoyama had a miserable qualifying at his favourite track – 14th – but finished the race in 7th place, the best position of his rookie year in MotoGP. Aoyama was able to fight in the middle group, which was scrapping for 4th position, and could comfortably hold his own amidst a whirlwind of position changes.

“The race was very tough, as the conditions with the heat and humidity were really hard. Physically and mentally I was on the limit. At the beginning I was finding my rhythm and then I started to overtake rider by rider; then I was able to stay with the group that was fighting for fourth position. I could have led this group, as my rhythm was better than theirs, but Simoncelli rode a very aggressive race and we touched a couple of times… I had to give him best to not risk anything. The seventh place is the best result so far in this season and I want to thank my team and I hope that we can improve the result at Phillip Island.”


The next MotoGP round is at Phillip Island, Sunday 17th October.

For more news and information on Arai Helmets please visit www.whyarai.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment